Other tools will require a lot of your time, produce variable and unsatisfying results, and lack flexibility.
With the Ultimate Ragdoll Generator you finally don’t have to worry about an armature template, or about setting such and such parameter to perfect precision: create excellent ragdolls automatically, with a single click, thanks to URG!s awesome automatic armature recognition and exploration system.
Ragdoll is the term that identifies a 3D model’s ability to react to physics in 3D game scenes, usually when it’s required for the object to fall down, tumble or react when crashed into.
Ragdolls are one of today’s fundamental game elements since they’re often fun and spectacular. Be it a 2.5D platformer or a 3D first person shooter, your game will without a doubt benefit from good ragdoll characters.
Ultimate ragdoll generator is the perfect tool to instantly create awesome ragdolls from any game model, saving you the complex and tedious work of setting and fine tuning all of the physics elements that you need to add to a 3D game model to make it into a ragdoll.
Thanks to accurate fine tuning and a dedicated artificial intelligence, URG!s default options have proven excellent for nearly a hundred very different archetypes of rigged humanoid characters, especially if they’re symmetrical and in their T-POSE.
URG! is however very good in taking care of complex models, up to a theoretically unlimited number of bones (as long as there’s system memory to handle them!), and with some minor repositioning or rotation in the Unity Editor, URG! can even take care of ragdolls for asymmetrical or even offset game models!
The main benefits of using URG! are that it’ll take instantly care of determining and assigning the proper bones into the ragdoll hierarchy, of placing all the physics objects in the model or prefab, of distributing weights and articulations for the joints, and finally it’ll sort out balancing, dampening and spring strengths automatically, with the single press of a button, to achieve stable and spectacular real time physic reactions from game models.
A lot of good work was put into the armature resolution a.i. which is a very efficient editor algorithm that is able to explore and decode even the most complex of animation armatures.
Thanks to URG! versatility and power, you’ll have an efficient and easy tool that will finally let you create ragdolls for non standard game models, saving precious hours of time and avoiding headaches, effectively making your ragdolls in a click.
The results are normally excellent, but if you’re looking for a particular effect or behavior, you have access to all tweaking parameters, to change them and immediately create a new ragdoll to test.
URG! is an editor script, and as such will run with your project in edit mode, exactly like all other similar editor addons.
- Start the program from Unity’s menu bar:
- In editor mode, drag the object to ragdoll into URG’s window slot
- press the CREATE RAGDOLL button.
- After the ragdoll is created, it’s possible to generate an interactive game object by simply adding one of the ragdoll classes available:
- clsragdollify turns a regular game object into its ragdoll prefab
- clskinetify turns a kinematic game object into a ragdoll
- clsragollimbifier is the interface to clsurgent, a complete body part management class that needs be added to the gameobject in ragdoll creation phase, to be able to apply body part forces and create truly spectacular animations and ragdolls.
NOTE: access each of these classes and the relative demo scene objects to find more information on how to use them
What? You want your ragdoll to fall like a wooden puppet or like a piece of cloth?
No problem! Tweak three option values, press “Create ragdoll” again, and that’s it! your new, tweaked ragdoll is immediately available.
Standard edition http://u3d.as/content/the-arc-games-studio/urg-standard-edition/2kP
Developer edition http://u3d.as/content/the-arc-games-studio/urg-developer-edition/2kR
From the asset store:
URG! is very easy to purchase and very convenient for its great value, and it’s available through Unity’s Asset Store, which registers your purchase and allows you to reuse URG! with ease in all of your projects current and future.
- Start the Unity Editor (version 3.5 or higher needed)
- Access the Window menu and choose Asset Store (ctrl-9)
- Search for ‘URG ragdoll generator’ and proceed to checkout
- Choose from the free, standard or pro version
Free version. Full automatic armature exploration and joints balancement, but won’t automate the collider installation. You can easily do it by hand with some patience or an additional algorithm (but of course the cost in time and effort will be way higher than the standard version price in such case!). URG! will do the ugly and complex job of finding and setting the bones for the joints for you.
Standard version is a full feature application, but does not provide access to the source code.
Developer version is a full feature application which offers access to the fully commented source code. Thanks to this version you can use and adapt URG!s powerful armature exploration tool for your projects.
Both purchase versions include:
- “the ratman”, a royalty free sample model with optimized armature, complete with blender source, a ragdoll tree and a ragdoll rope to easily prototype your desired application.
- An articulated demo scene with pre set ragdolls for all available working modes, and extremely easy to understand code events.
All the versions versions include:
- “The ragdollifier” a public runtime class that activates and deactivates physics on the fly to transition in and out of ragdoll mode.
- “The kinetifier” a public runtime class that converts a kinematic object into a physics driven object, effectively transforming a game object into ragdoll without the need of instantiation or prefabbing the ragdoll separately.
- “The URGent manager” a class set to manage animated game models on a per-part basis, to make them react to their surroundings by means of collisions or trigger events. The purchase versions include the automatic installation and the preset of these.